Friday, October 17, 2014

Falling in Love with Fall, Y'all!

It's no surprise (or maybe it is?) that my favorite season is Fall.. the sights, the sounds, the smells, the tastes.. everything is just my favorite this time of year!  It has been a minute since my last post, so let me tell you all about my Fall art projects that are going on right about now.. and stay tuned for the 2nd - 5th grade projects, coming soooooon!

I'm slowly but surely getting my room festive for Halloween, one bat and paper spider at a time!

Kindergarten
Painted Paper Pumpkins
Kindergarten starts the project by making a step-by-step painting (as you may see on the whiteboard in the background of the first image above) with different colors and shapes.  We mixed orange tones together, as no two pumpkins are ever exactly the same, you know.  Once the papers are dry, I draw 2 pumpkins, 2 stems, and 2 leaves on the back of the painted papers.  I do not always do this step, but 9 out of 10 Kindergarten artists find this extremely helpful.  Students then use scissors to cut out the shapes, leaving behind the fixings for their pumpkin collage.  We talk about overlapping and glue and voila!!

First Grade
Painted Paper Jack-o-Lanterns
First grade starts by mixing orange tones and painting a HUGE rectangle on a piece of paper.  Once dry, students cut out their pumpkin shape and begin using provided scissors and glue to create a face for their pumpkin.  We discuss collage and using our scissor craftsmanship while deciding the personality of their Jack-o-Lantern!  Everyone has a blast with this project and I personally love just how different all of them are (not to mention how amazing the hallway looks with 140+ Painted Paper Jack-o-Lanterns)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment